- summaries tutorials descritions and information about basic electronic components including the resistor, capacitor, inductor, transistor, integrated circuit and many more ....
There are many components that can be used in electronic and radio circuits. For each type there are variants and these may enable them to be used in different ways.
Resistors are one of the basic types of component used in electronics today. Many billions are used each week. As such they are probably the most widely used component.
- Resistor colour code or coding and other marking schemes
- Resistor types information about the different types of resistor available and their different applications.
- Variable resistor or potentiometer
- Light dependent resistor, LDR (or photoresistor)
- The different applications and uses for capacitors - choosing the right capacitor for the right job.
- The different types of capacitor
- Capacitor conversion chart
- What a semiconductor is.
- How a semiconductor PN junction works.
- Diode types - a summary of the different types of diode available
- PN junction diode
- Light emitting diode or LED
- PIN diode
- Schottky barrier diode
- Varactor or varicap diode
- Zener diode
- How a transistor works the basic operation of a transistor.
- Transistor specifications explained - understand the figures in datasheets
- Diode and transistor marking or numbering codes
- Choosing replacement transistors the basic operation of a transistor.
- JFET Junction Field Effect Transistor
- MOSFET Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor
- What is a thyristor
- Overview of a diac
- What is a triac
- Operational amplifier basics
Surface mount technology (SMT)
Surface mount technology is now the normal way of mass producing electronic equipment.
- Surface mount technology (SMT)
There is a huge variety of different types of connector. These range from those used for patch panels, through multiway connectors, to RF coax cable connectors. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages and can be used in a variety of differnet applications.
- Connector types
- D-type connector
- IEC power connector series
- Jack or phone connector
- XLR connector
- RF coax cable connectors
- BNC connector
- N-type connector
- UHF connector
Switches and relays
Even though more switching is accomplished electronically these days, mechanical or physical switches and relays still perform many vital functions in today's electronics.
- Electronics-switches - an overview of the different types of switches that can be used.
Wire and cables
Often little thought is given to the wire of cable that is used. However it can be quite important to choose the right type.
- Connecting wire
- Different types of wire and cable
valves / Tubes
- Heatsinks - an overview or description and simple thermal calculations.