Testing and Test Equipment
- information about all aspects electronics testing, test methods, and test equipment including oscilloscopes, test meters, spectrum analyzers and all forms of test equipment.
Electronics test and test equipment are essential elements of electronics and radio. Electronic equipment can develop failures, or it may not work properly when it is built. In order to discover whether a circuit is working, and then where the problem is located, it is necessary to use various forms of test equipment.
The items of test equipment that are commonly found are multimeters, analogue and digital (DMM - digital multimeter), oscilloscopes, and under some circumstances more specialised test equipment including spectrum analyzers may be used.
There are many items of test equipment that can be used for testing electronics equipment. From digital multimeters to power meters and oscilloscopes to spectrum analyzers, they all have their uses.
- Analogue multimeter
- Digital Multimeter - DMM
- Oscilloscope or scope
- Oscilloscope probes
- What is a spectrum analyzer?
Using a multimeter
There are many measurement that can be made with both digital and analog (analogue) multimeters.
- Basic instructions for how to use a multimeter
- Digital multimeter tutorial and video
- Making a voltage measurement with a multimeter
- How to measure current with a multimeter
- Making a resistance measurement with a multimeter
- Diode and transistor tests using a simple multimeter
- Testing a transistor circuit with a multimeter
Using a oscilloscopes
While multimeters are able to perform many tests, oscilloscopes are able to provide a unique insight into the working of an electronics circuit, because an oscilloscope is able to show the waveforms as well as being able to measure them.